What's it worth?

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Lee

Re: What's it worth?

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

So you dont really have an agreed value policy then.
Gen 2 GT trackcar: Used and Abused, now getting some TLC.
CL7 Euro R, the fun begins at 6000 rpm

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

They call it that but in reality it isn't. I order to be agreed you have to have a current valuation which only lasts so long. On the flip side my friend who has a 71 Camero got a valuation and his remains active at that price with the same policy I have.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

wellyclimb
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Alaina

Post by wellyclimb »

If anyone is interested I can recommend Roy McGuinness in Kapiti for insurance valuations.
We took the MR2 to him last weekend and he gave us an appraisal for $85 and we are stoked with what he thought it is worth!!
His website is: http://www.mcguinnessclassics.co.nz/aboutus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

paulainauckland
Guest of the Club.
First name: Paula

Post by paulainauckland »

Having a whinge - AA refused to insure our SW20 for anything more OR less than 5K - no negotiation. This was in December when we'd paid 2.5 and hadn't done any work to her.

However the stupid a$$hat at the other end wanted to insure our Rodeo 4x4 for 12K. Good luck finding a replacement for that at 12K! Tower on the other hand won't insure it for anything less than 17K, and walking around car yards that is very close to replacement value.

Kippeth
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Stefan

Post by Kippeth »

Wow sounds like some real problems.

I bought mine for 7k, but as some know its not the best (front bumper has bog thats flaking) and the rear drivers quaterpanel has a huge dent.

Went into the bank the day i bought her, they asked "how much do you want to insure it for?" i said 10k they said sure. did the whole "does it have lowered suspension; yes, Does it have aftermarket wheels; yes, does it have afermarket stereo (kinda, i said no i presume they meant if it had an upgraded stereo)

"Any other modifications?"
None of these made any change to the fortnightly payment;
Rollcage
Race steats
5pt Harness'

Funnily enough, having an immobiliser alarm only reduced the price by $5 a fortnight while registering at my home address in Tauranga (despite being in auckland nearly every weekend) reduced the price by $15 a fortnight!

lifes675
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: tom

Post by lifes675 »

I paid $800 for my aw11 with no rego or wof rust problems and water problems and wiring problems in November 2012
Spent $1500 doing it up and im with state with full cover and road side help and glass for $80 a month insured for $7000 or replacement car value if more
2 days after i got the car
IMG085.jpg
last weekend
2013-09-02 10.11.52.png

MoNk
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: J

Post by MoNk »

I'm looking at heading to a different insurer. AMI have really tested my patience after having to make 3 claims in the last 4 months.
1 bike stolen - they made me refill out a claim form 5 times. They would drop one recommendation per fill-out...
I was hit by a car on my other bike about 2 months ago, they still haven't paid out.
Then I was in a flood and had a lot of garage items damaged. They tried it on with me every step on the way. Refusing to insure some items, and forcing me to prove that it was insured.
I do however have a life time no claims bonus, which appears to help a lot with premiums.

Need to get car revalued, and check if AMI will even insure it after my mods are complete.

1996 MR2 GT-S
Very good condition, mint paint job (professional 1/2 the car respray due to mechanics scratching it)
Front and rear toms strut braces.
TRD exhaust
Tanabe B-Pipe

Unsure if those mods are considered too much for AMI.

Redline
Guest of the Club.
First name: Melvin S

Post by Redline »

Kippeth wrote:Wow sounds like some real problems.

I bought mine for 7k, but as some know its not the best (front bumper has bog thats flaking) and the rear drivers quaterpanel has a huge dent.

Went into the bank the day i bought her, they asked "how much do you want to insure it for?" i said 10k they said sure. did the whole "does it have lowered suspension; yes, Does it have aftermarket wheels; yes, does it have afermarket stereo (kinda, i said no i presume they meant if it had an upgraded stereo)

"Any other modifications?"
None of these made any change to the fortnightly payment;
Rollcage
Race steats
5pt Harness'

Funnily enough, having an immobiliser alarm only reduced the price by $5 a fortnight while registering at my home address in Tauranga (despite being in auckland nearly every weekend) reduced the price by $15 a fortnight!
From an underwriting perpective (what I do), factors like these would only reflect on an imposed higher excess. Your premium is pretty much set when you're over 25.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Need to get car revalued, and check if AMI will even insure it after my mods are complete.

1996 MR2 GT-S
Very good condition, mint paint job (professional 1/2 the car respray due to mechanics scratching it)
Front and rear toms strut braces.
TRD exhaust
Tanabe B-Pipe

Unsure if those mods are considered too much for AMI.
I'd be curious to what value you can insure to. I'm with AMI as well and orginally had my car valued at $15k. Then 3 years later I found out they reduced the value to $10k and when I tried to get it bumped back up to the orginal agreed value they insisted on another valuation. Since there was nothing to compare it to I had to stick with the $10k.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

MoNk
Guest of the Club.

Post by MoNk »

I might just take it in to a dealer after the paint job in August, see what happens :).

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

If you get a fair valuation please share with me as when I approached the only qualified dealer he had nothing to compare mine too. I pulled up several gen 3's for sale in the States but this was not valid. Had another gen 3 on TM with an asking price of $25k which also did not count.

Incedently, it irritates me that even under an agreed amount they drop the value each year while retaining the same premium amount. You have to instigate a review in order to get this modified.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

MoNk
Guest of the Club.

Post by MoNk »

Yeah I'll let you know, no problem.

MoNk
Guest of the Club.

Post by MoNk »

I reinsured with AA. $430, AA member, life no claims.
Agreed value 12k. My car in their system lookup was 11840.

/ bone stock 1996 GTS. 146km.

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ash

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Payed 5k (cheers Christian) for my 89 AW supercharged manual
If you've seen the thread your've seen its condition witch I thought wasn't to bad over all

I'm glad this has been brought up

As some one stated earlier "insurence company's need to realise this is not your average 80's Corolla"
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Hello all, new member here..

Just bought a stock 1991 SW20 MR2 with 190ks on the clock and WOF/rego expires next month :( for $2750.. everything works fine it seems just a bit worried reverse lights don't, and a bit of white smoke. I'm still on my learners and deciding to learn manual again after "mastering" automatic which does give away my age a bit BUT my insurance policy third party fire and theft (AA) costs me around $71 a month because I was too broke to pay up front. I only have an aftermarket MOMO steering wheel.