Freight costs for tyres and rims

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Freight costs for tyres and rims

Post by 85AW20v »

Evening all
Anyone got any ideas on how much to freight tyres and rims from Christchurch to Taupo? There's four M&S tyres with rims at Turners in Christchurch that are just what I'm looking for to do a gravel hillclimb in May down at Taihape. http://www.trademe.co.nz/link.aspx?i=42 ... e-link&r=a

Also, would some helpful member down there be able to pick them up and drop them at Mainfreight or somewhere like that if I did win the auction?

Thanks heaps.
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: Freight costs for tyres and rims

Post by GDII »

Those won't fit an AW11 with the 105/117mm PCD.

Many years ago I got some wheels sent from Auckland to Dunedin for around $380 with Mainfreight. It's the ferry that kills the price.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Joel

Post by Joel »

You can do an estimate online with Mainfrieght here: https://www.mainfreight.com/Online-Book ... hat.aspx?e

Automotive > Car Parts > Wheel Rims

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

Do not run these tyres on gravel!

They are snow tyres, and are crap on Gravel. Your life and ultimately your AW11 is worth more than some studless snow tyres!

I have a set of Hankook gravel tyres 175/55/14's that I can loan to you. Current on 14' mags, In Auckland.

Similar pattern to http://www.palmside.co.nz/product_pcid_16911.html

they are not the greatest I've ever driven on but they are a truck load better than dodgy snow tyres!

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

Thanks for the replies - I missed out on them anyway as I forgot about the auction as I was at Targa Rotorua. Freight estimate from Mainfreight was $215.00. Checked out Discount Freight and their price was $125.00 plus GST!!

Thanks for the offer Speedhog, but I'll find something on Trademe in 15" as I can get some 15" rims for next to nothing and that'll be the better long term plan.
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

GDII

Post by GDII »

85AW20v wrote:Thanks for the replies - I missed out on them anyway as I forgot about the auction as I was at Targa Rotorua. Freight estimate from Mainfreight was $215.00. Checked out Discount Freight and their price was $125.00 plus GST!!

Thanks for the offer Speedhog, but I'll find something on Trademe in 15" as I can get some 15" rims for next to nothing and that'll be the better long term plan.
Just curious but how would you get these to fit your AW11 if you managed to get them? Stud pattern is all wrong.

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

GDII wrote:Just curious but how would you get these to fit your AW11 if you managed to get them? Stud pattern is all wrong.
I believe Simon is just after the tyres, and will have them refitted to wheels with the proper stud pattern.
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

GDII

Post by GDII »

Statek wrote:
GDII wrote:Just curious but how would you get these to fit your AW11 if you managed to get them? Stud pattern is all wrong.
I believe Simon is just after the tyres, and will have them refitted to wheels with the proper stud pattern.
That makes sense. But as speedhog pointed out snow tyres on gravel are not good. I loved my gravel tyres on the SW20. SOOO much grip compared to road tyres. I bought them from a guy who ran them on his SR20DET powered AW11.

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

85AW20v wrote:Thanks for the replies - I missed out on them anyway as I forgot about the auction as I was at Targa Rotorua. Freight estimate from Mainfreight was $215.00. Checked out Discount Freight and their price was $125.00 plus GST!!

You may want something like 185/55/15's on the front and 195/65/15's on the rear, in a perfect world.
205's tend to be too much for the tread to grip deep into the gravel.

Any question you have with gravel tyres let me know.