THE GREAT MR2 COVID CALENDER Competiton 2021

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
WairoaboyNZ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Anthony

Re: THE GREAT MR2 COVID CALENDER Competiton 2021

Post by WairoaboyNZ »

Are there any results yet for Caleneders? Cheers

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Hi anthony

Thanks for your interest.Its a shame not many more were interested. We got only 11 pics and two of those were the same car twice and then we got all of 8 people voted. I had already expended some money getting the rest of the calender knocked up and the club logo on and stuff but thought if that was all the interest i had it was a quick way to loose money.

I am not sure whether to blame Covid or is it a measure that the forum is finished ? Maybe the rest of the country doesnt give a flying f!@#$k about what happens here. The independant judges and guys that put up the prizes were fairly annoyed and dissapointed as well. I guess you have to know when to hold em and know when to fold em. I chose to fold em I still have basic details of the the calender paid for . The Elleslie car show https://www.concours.org.nz/club-displays.html is coming up in Feb biggest in NZ and we get paid for attending I have a stand that can take 6 cars so out of our paid up active mebership i hope i can find 6 cars for that .
It will make a good giveaway for that show or at least ill do some poster prints to use up the seed money i have spent.

This is just another part of what needs to be talked through at the AGM so hopefully we get a good attendance
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Sorry the calendar idea didn’t go as well as you expected. We had a similar competition a few years ago that many participated in and even with a great deal of support and calendar purchases it barely broke even. I think the main flaw is that people don’t use paper calendars anymore so that transpired to low interest.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Thanks for that and it wasnt really the money aspect of the calender i was trying to acheive. I was willing to take a hit on it I mean there are a number of things here. I thought many more people would have welcomed the opportunity to showcase thier cars given the number of photos of `them i see on different sites and the absolutely wonderful camera rigs most people are armed with nowdays in phones and SLR. With AW11 pricing approaching and some cases exceeding 20k and the ever increasing price of SW20 turbos and NAS the cars have become elevated to a classic status . The ownership base has changed and many "Collectors" are now including MR2s in their "Cars wanted lists"

Anyhow I got some valuable insights into the psychographics of our membership that might help in the future with some decisions i beleive we will have to make.

Was interesting to see no Spyder pics submitted and whats our asttitude towards them I know of a seperate little club for them here. We should bring them into ours.

Is the Forum the correct place to be appealing to people to share details? How long since we saw run details with a poultice of photos .
Where was the last MR2 you saw in a show?

Apart from Fast Fours and Rotas what other avenues do we have to represent and promote these great little cars ?

When was the last time you tagged a 2 ?

Still lets see what happens
MIke
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

As an example Mike, I have a plethora of photos to add, and could have done so, but when I checked in to the forum the cutoff date had already passed.

I check in to the forum very infrequently - the pace here is less than 1% compared to social media sites for MR2's, whether those interacting are the newer breed of classic enthusiasts getting into the market now and wanting pristine factory condition cars, or those that heavily modify, or those that have been in the scene for decades.

It's not a put down, it's just a fact of the era and age, and a 5 min check in here to this forum once every few months has me up to date, and has me able to contribute to anything particularly AW11 related that may have been asked in that time.

TBH you would have a ton more traction if you posted the same thing on the club FB page - you would have had greater exposure and likely enough photos to fill 4 or 5 years of calendars, allowing you to select the cream of the crop and produce something of quality.
Again, I don't know if that treads on anyone's toes or egos but from my perspective it's just the fact of the age and era of social interaction. The forum isn't dead, but it also isn't the best avenue for all things.

If you're still after some landscape photos Mike, here are some I'd have submitted - both of my own car and of club runs which show a bit of the Chch MR2 scene in the last 12 months with event's I've attended (which does include Spyders).

20201111_195155.jpg
20201209_194323.jpg
20201209_202443.jpg
20191207_155355.jpg
60717136_500343207441817_2363851245535363072_n.jpg
20201209_202623.jpg
20210327_145101.jpg
20210327_150712.jpg
20210327_150614.jpg
20210516_094337.jpg
20210516_102827.jpg
20211221_203919.jpg

Most shot with a Samsung S20 with no filters

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

This is about the most active NZ car forum and it’s still dead. Sadly I think you would have got a much better response on the club FB page. The pictures might have been of a decent quality too.
1992 G Limited