8 inch subs or 10 inch?

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
iamawesome
Guest of the Club.

8 inch subs or 10 inch?

Post by iamawesome »

hey guys i'm looking at putting either dual 8 inch subs or a single 10 inch sub behind the seats of my sw20 but not sure on what would be the best. i listen to rock/metal and a bit of techno every now and then, if 8 inch would be the way to go where could i purchase them from?

Sketchy
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Darren

Post by Sketchy »

paired 8's will give you about the same cone area as a 10 anyway.

and 10's will survive alot longer at comortable volumes.your not worried about phase(subs working in unison)..or loading your amp down too far with going parrallel with too many voice coils

I went series-parrallel with my 4 DVC 10's for a 2ohm load

10 is pretty much an ideal size...good allround..for what your after(and Id use a sealed enclosure for it)

but given the volume of an MR2 cabin and actual length for the lower frequencys too propergate, a single 10 is verging on overkill
team red?...its just not as good...TEAM YELLOW!!!!

it was an electrical problem....the con-rod pushed the alternator off....

iamawesome
Guest of the Club.

Post by iamawesome »

what subs would you recomend? i have a fusion 4 channel amp then can be bridged to 200 rms or would i need a bigger amp?

Sketchy
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Darren

Post by Sketchy »

200rms is plenty for an mr2....(never thought Id say that....but I did)

lets start by telling you what I would not buy

sony.(xplode)
low end fusion/raptor(the green supercheap stuff is fusion too)

but really it comes down too listening too them....and seeing whats gonna work with the size box you can have:)

but that said...price wise...if you spend less that $150 and more than $300
its a waste, cheap subs dont last...and youll never run an expensive one properly with 200rms(there are exceptions, as always)
team red?...its just not as good...TEAM YELLOW!!!!

it was an electrical problem....the con-rod pushed the alternator off....

iamawesome
Guest of the Club.

Post by iamawesome »

one i have had my eye on is a rockford fosgate p210s4 it is 200 rms ans designed for small enclosures. my brother is quite into his audio and he thinks i should get the soundstream tarantulas but i want to be able to play the deep bass not just mid bass. what do you think?

ib6ub9
Guest of the Club.

Post by ib6ub9 »

pioneer free to air subs fit with a custom box and there 12 just put one in my aw11 lots of bass,had 2 8'z and didn't like them.
cost $250 for 12 sub and mdf
repco have theese subs on sale 12 inch $221
pioneer ts-sw1241d is the model number
you don't have to box them coz there free to air
but i did :D
rah rah