damn! speakers are too big!----- 56k beware

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mr.peal

damn! speakers are too big!----- 56k beware

Post by mr.peal »

Last edited by mr.peal on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Russki
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Tat

Post by Russki »

My 2c since i did the design lol for 650c JBL you would need custom spacer because door metal panels inside in mr2 are not flat. Speaker will sit about 1.5cm off the panel near top screw and something around 6mm off near bottom screws. Hole for speaker is 5", that's why supposedly proper size 6.5" JBL would not fit- the cone not narrow enough to fit is 5" hole.
Speaker must be sealed tightly for good sound hence using material from packaging (comes handy...) flexible material fills all gaps.
That's the reason why I ruled out all standard mdf or plastic spacers- they would need to be modified anyway. It's easier to make your own.
Remember to dummy fit door panels to check clearance, otherwise they won't clip and whole idea would be useless.
“Life, if well lived, is long enough.” Seneca

kim0663
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Joon

Post by kim0663 »

does your fronts sound 'rattley' with the music on a bit loud...?

I've made up a mdf spacer for it too but i didn't use any foam stuff. Passenger side sounds rattly over a certain bass amount.... so annoying but havn't taken it apart yet....

Does the foam make alot of difference?
You Joon Kim
1992 Mr2 GT-S

Tronic
Guest of the Club.
First name: Carl

Post by Tronic »

I have not changed the speakers in my MR2 but did some extensive work on a ford Telstar and replaced the whole rear 3mm "chipboard" with 3mm aluminium and spacers all over it bolted through to the steel parcel tray with countersunk bolts.

Basically you need as stiff a mounting for the speakers as possible. Ideally a cast alloy spacer would be the best but generally the weakness comes down to how stiff the steel area your bolting it to anyway, hence the rattle or resulting sound generated by the door panel or the likes at high volume produced by the low frequency bass component. A plastic spacer would be okay but again its only as good as what your attaching it too.

Obviously a tweeter is less critical in the mounting other than from a directional aspect.

All the hard work is in getting the mounting right, screwing in the speaker is a 5 minute job.

Thats my 2 cents worth anyway after spending my apprenticship as an audio technician.
Carl
Electronics Technician.
1990 Gen II GT Ceramic CT26 Hybrid @ 15psi
170.5 kW @ 6429 RPM 288.7 Nm @ 5430RPM
Gary Capper Performance - "Dynamic Test Systems" Precision Dynamometer

mr.peal

Post by mr.peal »

kim0663 wrote:does your fronts sound 'rattley' with the music on a bit loud...?

I've made up a mdf spacer for it too but i didn't use any foam stuff. Passenger side sounds rattly over a certain bass amount.... so annoying but havn't taken it apart yet....

Does the foam make alot of difference?

we did turn them up but not overly loud. but not really really loud yet, the rears are still just the stock 4 inch. so this week we will replace those with jbl's as well this week

then we will get back to you

but so far no rattling.

JBL is all new to us, I think I will get the new speakers for the rear by next weekend, I wil get straight back to you as soon as we test it up really loud....poor people next door! lol

both is us are a bit older so we dont duff duff but we love our music, so it might just be your extra bass or sub that is causing it, you might have to turn the bass down a bit. we will not have subs in this car so our experiemnt may be irrelevant to your setup.

mr.peal

Post by mr.peal »

Last edited by mr.peal on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bawked
Guest of the Club.

Post by Bawked »

yea i need to make custom spacers sometime, been too lazy... but since i'll be having 3 days off soon i have no excuse :?
1991 sw20 mr2 n/a 5spd

mr.peal

Post by mr.peal »

this proccess we did did not take overly long, about 2 hours per side, but thats start to finish, taking door panel off and then the completed project. so its not too bad.......just take your time, any questions just ask :)

kim0663
Guest of the Club.

Post by kim0663 »

my car doesn't have that much bass... to keep the weight to the minimal, i ripped out all speaker cables, all reakers, subs and just running pioneer headunit, and pioneer fronts. I don't have the "BASS BOOST" up at all so hm......... Maybe parts inside the door is rattling...

Let me know anyway 8)

thanks
You Joon Kim
1992 Mr2 GT-S

Bawked
Guest of the Club.

Post by Bawked »

kim0663 wrote:my car doesn't have that much bass... to keep the weight to the minimal, i ripped out all speaker cables, all reakers, subs and just running pioneer headunit, and pioneer fronts. I don't have the "BASS BOOST" up at all so hm......... Maybe parts inside the door is rattling...

Let me know anyway 8)

thanks
hmmm i wouldnt say that ripping wiring + speakers out would save anymore than like 2kg... seems pretty pointless for weight saving.

I ripped the rears out of my car cause they are useless. need to get some decent 4" replacements sometime
1991 sw20 mr2 n/a 5spd

kim0663
Guest of the Club.

Post by kim0663 »

if you see my car, you'd change your statement dramatically.

2kg is worth the world to me right now. in fact, to save weight, i myself is on a diet
You Joon Kim
1992 Mr2 GT-S

Russki
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Tat

Post by Russki »

kim0663 wrote:... i myself is on a diet
and I am just about to roll up the rear guards to accommodate my extra xmas indulgence weight LOL so they don't scrub tyres.

about rattle. There is lot of things inside the door which could rattle. For example crossover tied to big wire and secured so it doesn't touch any metal and rattles. Wires themselves are secured in such a way so they don't touch door openings and plastic seal inside door. Silicon all around plastic is renewed, and plastic itself checked- pressure from powerful sound moves that plastic (weather sheet inside the door) and if it was raptured somewhere it makes some farting ripple sound LOL
About foam- JBL in their manuals for their speakers use and recommend to use foam gaskets. Must be some reason behind it and proved in lab LOL I just wanna seal all gaps between spacer and door and give it some cushion. I tighten up the screws so all foam is squeesed, and there is no air escaping.
We have interesting effect though - sound is soo powerful so whole door behaves like big sub cone- on outside! Touch with your hand and it kicks lol no rattles tough unless when speakers went on overdrive they shows some distortion in sound.

Gimme some hi wattage cones and doors will probably blow off the hinges LOL
so much for weight management LOL
“Life, if well lived, is long enough.” Seneca