How do you get at the single factory Sub ?

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Tronic
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Carl

How do you get at the single factory Sub ?

Post by Tronic »

Had a quick look at the single sub on the 1990 MR2. Top of the box pops up with the 3 plastic retainers if you pull on it hard but this doesn't get you to the speaker itself, only to the top of the sub box.

Does the Grille of the sub just pull off ? or does it have push clips or something ? I don't want to break it if I can help it.

Also what size is it ? almost too scared to ask as it's probably small.

Just want to check the size/condition of the speaker as I may amp it just for the fun of it.
Carl
Electronics Technician.
1990 Gen II GT Ceramic CT26 Hybrid @ 15psi
170.5 kW @ 6429 RPM 288.7 Nm @ 5430RPM
Gary Capper Performance - "Dynamic Test Systems" Precision Dynamometer

Lucas
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Lucas

Post by Lucas »

give the panel on top a yank ( quite a hard one )
Workshop Controller Northshore Toyota and Lexus of Northshore
Lexus Certified Diagnostic Technician
MR2OCNZ Technical Moderator

dragonx
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Matt

Post by dragonx »

the plastic grill cover will pop off

then the floor carpet which is attached to the top of the metal bit can be unclipped (kinda) and it comes forward a bit so you can remove the sneaky bolts, and there are (from memory) 4 bolts around the sperker, plus 2 more one at each side) the sub will then come out.

i guess the factory sub is better than nothing and doenst take up much space, better still get a car that has both factory subs and stay stock (or add the second factory sub, run both off a cheap mono sub amp)?

im sure the audiophiles here will say no, make a sub box wire it up with an amp and its party time, all things being equal the MR2 is a great small enclosed space, good speakers and bass with no waste....

lx
Guest of the Club.

Post by lx »

im pretty sure they are a weird impedance, possibly 4inch or so, but hey you can get a bit of bass out of that with the right enclosure.

They are amped from factory, with the amps being just under the b pillar on passengers side.
Sold:AE95 Sprinter 4WD, SW20 91' JDM y0...

Current:DC2 Integra Type R 98 Spec

Tronic
Guest of the Club.

Post by Tronic »

Only 4" are you saying there is TWO ? thats a pretty strange set-up. Will have to get in there and have a look at how Toyota has done it. cheers.
Carl
Electronics Technician.

lx
Guest of the Club.

Post by lx »

No just the one, cone size does not dictate loudness, was a guy down here with a rather sweet enclosure a few years ago with an 8' dse sub, feeding it 40W and was making something stupid like 135db.

Tronic
Guest of the Club.

Post by Tronic »

lx wrote:No just the one, cone size does not dictate loudness, was a guy down here with a rather sweet enclosure a few years ago with an 8' dse sub, feeding it 40W and was making something stupid like 135db.
Yes but unfortunatley is does dictate frequency response. Will have to have a look. From the size of the grill I was expecting a 6 x 9 or something. Yeah right I wish. Looks like there is room for something larger if I can be bothered. Will get the basics up and running and see how it sounds first.
Carl
Electronics Technician.

lx
Guest of the Club.

Post by lx »

Just make a custom enclosure with a DD 6.5 or similar facing upwards, be less hassel in the long run.

dragonx
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Matt

Post by dragonx »

Tronic wrote:Only 4" are you saying there is TWO ? thats a pretty strange set-up. Will have to get in there and have a look at how Toyota has done it. cheers.
some have 2, some only have one.

you cant simply retro fit 2 to a car that only had 1, the metal braket behind the drivers seats where a sub would bolt doesnt have the the right holes etc...