My Audio set up installation(Beware massive photos)

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
jethro
Guest of the Club.

Post by jethro »

cool so are you saying if i only have one set of rca preout from hu i wont be able to individually select frequenciesfor the components and the sub from the amp even though all channels(1and2 and 3 and 4 bridged)are receivng a signal through splitters? thx
If you have 2 rca outputs then you can output sub over one and front/rear speakers
yeah i think i got that, one plug splits to the channel 1 and 2 and the other splits to 3 and 4, as far as i knew it i just wouldnt have fade controll from the front to the back through the hu?.

Sketchy
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Darren

Post by Sketchy »

jethro wrote:cool so are you saying if i only have one set of rca preout from hu i wont be able to individually select frequenciesfor the components and the sub from the amp even though all channels(1and2 and 3 and 4 bridged)are receivng a signal through splitters? thx
If you have 2 rca outputs then you can output sub over one and front/rear speakers
yeah i think i got that, one plug splits to the channel 1 and 2 and the other splits to 3 and 4, as far as i knew it i just wouldnt have fade controll from the front to the back through the hu?.
I not sure how your interpriting this, 1 RCA output is defined as 1 PAIR of plugs,being a left and right channel.

2 sets of RCA outputs will require 2 seperate stereo RCA cables.

head unit ---------<amp (with with one pair of out puts and splitters)

head unit======amp(with 2 output sets)

from your previous posts, I think your headunit only has the one pair.and that means no individual control

my baby JVC has one set out(which will be a stereo output for any signal,so I could feed it into an amp and run full range speakers or put it through a low pass filter(usually included into an amp) to run a sub)kinda like your head unit from what I can tell.

my flash JVC has 3 pairs out and a pair for input(which means a pair to run front left and right,a pair to run rear left and right, and a pair for sub output.)
team red?...its just not as good...TEAM YELLOW!!!!

it was an electrical problem....the con-rod pushed the alternator off....

jethro
Guest of the Club.

Post by jethro »

my baby JVC has one set out(which will be a stereo output for any signal,so I could feed it into an amp and run full range speakers or put it through a low pass filter(usually included into an amp) to run a sub)kinda like your head unit from what I can tell
Thats me right there, thx for your help everyone.

Bawked
Guest of the Club.

Post by Bawked »

hmmm i've just realised i don't need the line converter in my car, i'll just hookup 2 x female to dual male rca to feed my amp since that signal is all i need.... man what an idiot i am :x
1991 sw20 mr2 n/a 5spd

jethro
Guest of the Club.

Post by jethro »

man what an idiot i am
LOL doesnt make me feel so bad :D

Bawked
Guest of the Club.

Post by Bawked »

^ pleased to be at your service :lol:
1991 sw20 mr2 n/a 5spd

jethro
Guest of the Club.

Post by jethro »

OK! IT WORKS! i just met a couple of neighbours i never knew i had :D, now for the tweaking part.
Things i,m searching
Subwoofer on alpine cdm 7658r hu on 0 or 15?
front component crossovers on +3, 0 or -3??
amp crossovers???
sounds good as i got it just want to get the best out of it.

Sketchy
Guest of the Club.

Post by Sketchy »

unfortunately the bass or sub boost from your head unit will add distortion to your signal.

set the gain for your sub channel. with the sub boost about 5 or so( so you can actually have room to back it off if you want :wink: )
and dont really turn it up past 10 or so...unless your ready to buy a new sub in the future...lol

as for the front xover gain, leave it at 0. listen to your favorites....or even (I know this will sound silly but) some micheal jackson or garbage(some of the music with better studio production values) then after a while...try it at +3 and -3, its not like your running stupid power, but its really a listening thing, it will brighten up the sound a little(but even then the settings are only as good as the amps cross overs and they may not be that flash)

but your ear, your system:) listen and you sit in it, tune it for you

jethro
Guest of the Club.

Post by jethro »

errr i went to the micheal jackson concert when he was still moving :D thx for the tips. just had my first cruise with the t tops off since i got the car and with the tunes pumping it was awesome.
with the sub boost about 5
great i allready played with that and four seemed to give me the best value for money without overdoing the budget if that makes sense.

jethro
Guest of the Club.

Post by jethro »

ok! a few days with the new sound system and i have moved the tweeters back to the stock location, i was having issues at higher volumes and it sounded like the mids and highs where getting all jumbled up and the tweeters sounded like tin cans, my brother convinced me to put them to stock(had to attack the door grommet things a again) and low and behold major improvement, more spacial and no more tin cans and getting top quality sound at higher cvolumes.
Now bass! this is my first sub, when i set it on its own on the amp it doesnt really sound very loud, even with big gains, it does start shaking the garage and you can feel the pressure waves but i wouldnt say it was that loud, does that make sense?(its more of an effect than a noise???) is this subs and i need more for more noise, am happy with it, just thought a big speaker would put out more of a booming surface explosion as opposed to an under ground detonation, when you mix it in with the front,s the whole lot is definetly loud, but it could always be louder.

Bawked
Guest of the Club.

Post by Bawked »

The seat blocks a bit of the sound i find, so when i have to no passenger i move the passenger seat right forward makes the sub sound better. Gives a good massage back tho :lol:
1991 sw20 mr2 n/a 5spd

Sketchy
Guest of the Club.

Post by Sketchy »

go see your doctor..you have caught the bug...lol

turning gains on amps past the halfway mark is a bad idea most of the time, so not something Id recomend,

id have a look at your filter settings, the low pas shouldnt be higher than about 80Hz,

but unfortunatly the interior of the 2 is a little small,(it has a sweet spot about 48-49hz depending on sub placement) so it actually behaves alot like a 2nd order bandpass enclosue much like those guys you see running around with 15's in there station wagons, the car shakes and you hear a bit but its far louder outside the car than in if the windows are down.

jethro
Guest of the Club.

Post by jethro »

dont get me wrong it booms when it is blended in with the fronts but just not sure, you know i am on splitters right? well when i go from right to left on the balance that is effectively my fader, goes from front to rear -15 to +15 now when i go to +15 the fronts play fully and when i go to 0 the fronts and the sub play but when i go to -15 the fronts only cut out at -13 wich seems really unbalanced.Just been listening to pink floyd, hey you and it sounds mint but i,m just not completly sure everything is like it should be.

Sketchy
Guest of the Club.

Post by Sketchy »

most head unit faders are not flash, and I was aware your on splitters.

thats the perk of running of 1 signal ouput(a lack of propper control)

jethro
Guest of the Club.

Post by jethro »

i noticed when the hu subwoofer function is on the balance and fade work as they should for a one rca output stereo but when the sub on the head unit is off it goes all acrewy so we,ll leave it on sub on.