dodgy signal

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
boosta
Guest of the Club.

dodgy signal

Post by boosta »

so the other day i got jelous of my mates sterio so i went out out and got me some new speakers with crossovers, sub and amp-the mr2s birthday.
now ive always had my sub amped but now ive amped the components and i have mad intererance-sub runs fine because of L.P filter but components not so much.
moved the rca's away from P.S pump, shieled them with foil and earthed and even brought a noise isolator but it still whines like a lil girl when mr two fires up.
bad earthing? the amps isolated on mdf and grounded to the batt because its in the frunk.
any help appreciated
put it on the line

Sketchy
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Darren

Post by Sketchy »

are the amps earthed to the same point?

also might wanna check your alternator also, is the wine dependant on revs(changes pitch) or is it a "key on" engine not running noise too?
team red?...its just not as good...TEAM YELLOW!!!!

it was an electrical problem....the con-rod pushed the alternator off....

lx
Guest of the Club.

Post by lx »

Not a pioneer headunit by chance?
Sold:AE95 Sprinter 4WD, SW20 91' JDM y0...

Current:DC2 Integra Type R 98 Spec

jethro
Guest of the Club.

Post by jethro »

Not sure if it helps but i have a pioneer head unit with amps and crossovers in the frunk with rca and speaker cable bundle running pretty close to the power steering pump(but as far away as can practibly can get)no foil or nosie filters but my amp grounded to the chassis, . my speaker wires and rcas run in a bundle and all other power wires run seperate and away from the rcas and speaker cables., no bad noise here,plenty of duff duff though.

boosta
Guest of the Club.

Post by boosta »

yeap a pioneer H.U only whines when running, not key on
think ill go and earth it to the chassis and see how that goes
put it on the line

DuCKy!
Guest of the Club.

Post by DuCKy! »

Had same problem.

Pioneer HU have a fuse called "fusible link"
It basically melts and your ground is destroyed on your headunit if you accidentally short it.
It will then search for the closest ground, which in this case, will be the RCA's

The whine climbs as your revs climb, sounds like a ferrari inside huh?

Easiest and cheapest fix is to wrap wire all around the base of the RCA's of the headunit and then ground it to the back of the headunit.

Not sure if I've explained it enough but hopefully you'll understand it.
1996 MR2 GT-S

boosta
Guest of the Club.

Post by boosta »

what ducky said is right, cheers mate.stupid pioneer headunit
thought id take a pic or two to show what its turned out like, havnt replaced the plastic trim in the frunk yet so it looks messy and yes i know its one ricer looking amp but its a bit of a savage beast ( melted both voice coils on my other sub, spose thats what 600 watts rms does lol)
it bumps hard and has top sound quality, pretty stoaked

put it on the line