AW11 roll cage plans

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: mike

Re: AW11 roll cage plans

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

Thanks Simon thats what I was hoping to do with mine. I think that is close to what I would get from the Palmside kit.
I was going to put a cross bar in for my side intrusion and a harness bar as part of the rear hoop as well.
Time to go talk to our local guy about the plan and see if they need anything else as the requirement always seems to e changing.

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

Simon, you didn't go through the rear firewall to triangulate to the rear struts? What was your reasoning not too? Just interested. Or the front struts?

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: mike

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

I think at a guess that the bars would need to be curved to reach the rear towers at the top that is where it would want to be? It could be possible to go from the back of the point where the side intrusion beam meats the hoop back to the strut tower that could be a good solution that allows the factory rear window to stay in place.

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

flying_wedge wrote:Simon, you didn't go through the rear firewall to triangulate to the rear struts? What was your reasoning not too? Just interested. Or the front struts?
First, I didn't want to have to replace the rear window as I didn't have any of the correct material available to meet motorsport standards.
Second,with 5 firewalls through the car, I figured it was probably stiff enough without having to go through to the strut towers. Same deal with the front, although I have made up and fitted a strut brace in the frunk.
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg