3 lights of death AW SC

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

3 lights of death AW SC

Post by MIKEP »

Have had the AW off the road since Manfield as on the way back we developed the dreaded 3 lights of death. I finally have some disposable income to throw at it but have some questions

Am I better off to get a "New" Alternator or the old one repaired? What is the cost difference?

How long will the job take to get the alternator out and in again . Rough estimate please

is it Part number - 27060-16340 Denso product

Any other pointers ?
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Re: 3 lights of death AW SC

Post by mknz »

Yank it, and have a look at pricing on rockauto, otherwise you're best taking it to an auto sparky. New, or distributor+ reconditioned AW alternators can be hard to get in NZ, best bet is AutoStop/Repco (same parent company) but I wouldn't be surprised if they can only supply brushes and regulator. They will want the Toyota part number off the actual alternator to match it.

feral4mr2
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: John

Re: 3 lights of death AW SC

Post by feral4mr2 »

It isn't always the alternator itself. The external regulator in the boot can be at fault.