No power at ignition

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

No power at ignition

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Hi all,

Interesting electrical gremlin time.

Yesterday after driving home (approx. 20 mins of driving), no issues while driving, parked, and took key out of ignition. Went to start the car about 30 seconds after taking key out, and I hear a click and all of a sudden have 0 power.

No lights on the dash, headlights not working, absolutely nothing. Pop ups wouldn't even go down.

Fuses were absolutely fine, turns out car needed a jump start, and it was good to go.

Any idea what this would be caused by? Negative terminal is tight (just been replaced actually), and there were no alternator lights while driving.

Perhaps a bad battery? Battery is relatively new ~ 1 year, and a big 680CCA battery.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers
89' SW20 GT w/ Gen 4 3SGTE
13.2 @ 107mph

"man this thing drives like ass" - Sun Tzu, probably

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Re: No power at ignition

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Went to start the car in the morning, started fine. 14.6V at start, idling warm at 14.2V.

Attempted to start this evening, key at ignition was fine, had power, but as soon as I tried to crank, I hear a click, and complete loss of power.

Must be a toasted battery is my only guess at this stage. I'll get it tested soon.
13.2 @ 107mph

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

My guess would be bad ground wire. I’d check main ground cable that goes from chassis to top of trans. Could be high resistance due to corrosion on bolt threads t to hat sometimes makes contact and other times not.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

So yeah turns out it was my battery.

Put the meter on and it was 2.8V. Not a typo. 10V short of a functioning battery haha.

The battery is about ~ 1 year old, so I'll try warranty it in level 3. 680 CCA so it's quite large.

Bit of a pain tbh but it is what it is. Annoying when good parts die.
13.2 @ 107mph

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Good you found problem, all the same. I’ve run the Exide premium batteries with 740cca. Come with a 3 ur warranty which I’ve used before. No hassle as they simply check with a ahr meter and if it falls below 75% rated capacity they hand me a new one.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Benckj wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:03 pm
My guess would be bad ground wire. I’d check main ground cable that goes from chassis to top of trans. Could be high resistance due to corrosion on bolt threads t to hat sometimes makes contact and other times not.
Not every fault is bad grounds. Especially this sort of behaviour. I've seen other interesting things happen when that strap wasn't installed. Like a melted handbrake cable. The power will find a way to return to the battery. Clearly this case is a bad battery.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/