Crank Bolt Removal

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
motorheadsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Ivan

Crank Bolt Removal

Post by motorheadsw20 »

I recently had the joy :( of having to check the oil pump cover for leaks since I had a bit of oil coming from that area and as a result had to remove the cam covers including the harmonic ballancer / crank pulley.

Now with the car in gear / handbrake on - I did try to undo the bolt to no avail. Using the pull out screw holes with a small screw in there just bent the screws. However I read a reccomendation once upon a time that you theoretically can put a wrench on the bolt and just click the starter a little to undo the bolt. Scary excercise - but having no other options and being short on time I decided to go down that path.

Needless to say - it did the trick :) - though it occured to me to take couple of photos - just so somone else may use this trick in the future

20221207_170430.jpg
20221207_170420.jpg
Just make sure all's well placed / and there's a bit of tension on the bolt - and literally just touch the start, don't turn it ;)

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Thomas

Re: Crank Bolt Removal

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Neat trick - Good to have saved up the sleeve.

What kind of vent is that you have? Looks really cool
89' SW20 GT w/ Gen 4 3SGTE
13.2 @ 107mph

"man this thing drives like ass" - Sun Tzu, probably

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I've never been keen to try that trick myself. Always managed to get bolt free using a decent impact gun. We have a couple different ones at work that I can borrow.
Interested in your oil leak repair. I always change the oil pumps main O ring and shaft seal as these seem to be the leading cause of leaks. Unlike others I tend to leave main crank seal alone unless it is seeping. Cam seals are easy enough to do if they are seeping.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I have used that trick many times. I normally strap the breaker bar to the suspension arm but this works well too.
Yes, a little scary but having the bar strapped to the car makes it safer. Obviously stay clear of the tools when this is being done.

Impact wrench is not always the go especially if it is a small one. The starter motor can move the whole car so has heaps of torque.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

motorheadsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by motorheadsw20 »

Vents came with the car some 15 years ago :O so honestly, I've never bothered to investigate what they were - but yeah they seem to do a good job and pull good amount of air in since they poke out a wee bit more than factory

On the oil leak front - well I got one of the http://atsracing.net/Parts/Details/E-OILPUMP high volume oil pumps from ATS racing (roughly 2 years / 6000km ago) and didn't have any issues/leaks since then - this developed just recently. It's a bummer since it's all Toyota OEM parts and I was hoping for a worry-free motoring for few years type thing after a full recondition ... I guess my dad's saying "old cars and young women require lots of work" is spot on :wink:
Oil Pump leak.jpg
Oil Pump leak.jpg (265.42 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
I checked all the bolts and they are all torqued correctly - i even tightened them up a bit more with the hope it'll stop and put it back together .... unfortunately, the leak persisted :?

I've also had a good look higher - cam seals / valve cover - no trace of any oil there. So in a nut-shell I'll probably need to take the engine out again to have a proper look and replace the wee rubber seal that goes between the oil pump and the rest of the aluminum cover as well as the gasket that backs onto the block (doing this without engine out is probably going to end up being more work)

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

The leak seems to be consistant with the outer oil pump O ring as I described above. When you installed the ATS pump did you replace this part along with shaft seal? If interested I can post up some pics of my gen 3 pump and OEM seals replaced.

Removing the oil pump is not a big deal with engine in the car. Most of the work is in getting crank pully and covers off. Its easyier than doing the water pump as this is higher up and strut tower gets in the way. If you need a little more access could always drop engine down a tad for working on through rear arch.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

motorheadsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by motorheadsw20 »

That's the annoying bit :) - the ATS pump was brand new pump - seals gaskets and all (and has Toyota markings on it so I take it it's OEM) - so i just put it in.

I definitely go down the track of the O ring and potentially the seal (just ordered those form nzgaskets/repco) since yes this can be done without removing engine.

I was weary if the leak is coming from the gasket on the back end where it attaches to the block - which needs oil pan removal - and I don't have a hoist which makes it a pain to do with the engine still in.

I didn't do myself any favors by putting nolathane engine mounts in - very little flex in them so dropping the engine a tad is a bit of a pain (i need to push it up on the gearbox side and remove gerabox mount to tilt it enough for access) but i've done it couple of times now so should be able to get it done in an afternoon.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I thought the main O ring which goes between pump and block was only available as OEM. Not sure if I have a pic on my laptop but I’ll try and find for reference.

Several years ago when I dropped my engine for doing cam belt , etc I bought a full OEM gasket kit. It didn’t include the oil pump seal but Mark at Toyota supplied at no additional cost.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

The OEM kits have never included the oil pump o ring or the shaft seal. Frustrating but just how it is. They do contain the gasket between the oil pump housing and block though.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/