Savage 7 X 5 BLACK LED HEADLIGHTS

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
p-we
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Northland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Wes

Savage 7 X 5 BLACK LED HEADLIGHTS

Post by p-we »

I want to go all LED on my SW20 while being compliant to WOF. According to NZTA you can replace entire compliant headlight assembly but not switch the bulbs to LED. These seem to be perfect and from a NZ source.

https://www.savageperformanceandspares. ... headlights

- Anyone tried them?
- Decent performance?
- Passed WOF?

Thanks,

Wes

james_zemah
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Re: Savage 7 X 5 BLACK LED HEADLIGHTS

Post by james_zemah »

As with any headlight, it needs to have a National/International certification on it. I'm not exactly sure of the name, but if you look at the lens of a stock housing, it will gave an "E" in a circle, followed by a number. This is necessary on pretty much anything aftermarket if you want to pass wof. There's so many cheap lights in the automotive industry that it's probably only worth forking out for something quality made. Some good brands to note are Hella, Morimoto, JWSpeaker, TruckLite.

Secondly, you'll need a "Negative Switched" conversion harness for older Toyotas, as they run a different system than standard. So account for that.
JAMES BURBERRY | HAMILTON | 06-02-2001
The guy who Replicated TOMS taillight Louvres
Message via Forum or FB for Inquiries.

1998 Nissan Pulsar (2017-2020 RIP :cry:)
2004 Subaru Legacy 3.0 (2020-2020)
1991 MR2 SW20 G-Limited (2020 - current Project)
1999 Ford KN Laser LXi 1.6 (2022 - current Daily)