Spyder Bite - Is the Spyder an Oil Burner?

An area for topics concerning ZZW30's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning ZZW30's a.k.a. MRS / Spyder. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mista2
Guest of the Club.

Spyder Bite - Is the Spyder an Oil Burner?

Post by mista2 »

I've reposted a news item I came across on the main club site regarding the 1.8 ltr engine being reported as vulnerable to excessive oil burning.

I find this interesting as over the weekend on our way back from the MR2OC AGM, MISTA2 suffered a major coolant leak stranding us in Turangi. Lynelle and I ended up sharing a rental back to Wellington with another couple whose 3 year old Camry expired on the Desert Road due to catastrophic loss of oil. They said they had checked the oil only weeks before and the level was fine then. Maybe the problem is not just limited to the 1.8 ltr but could affect many of the VVTi engines?
John Howell
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Chromeronin
Or visit my BLOG: http://nzhomegeek.wordpress.com

Sketchy
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Darren

Post by Sketchy »

how many weeks is a few?should check it at least as often as you fill up with fuel....

old brittish cars are the other way however...check fuel level with every oil fill...
team red?...its just not as good...TEAM YELLOW!!!!

it was an electrical problem....the con-rod pushed the alternator off....

Tronic
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Carl

Post by Tronic »

Only a problem if its using more than a litre every 1,000 miles ??? wow I thought the SW20 GT was bad at 500mls every 5000km !!! The bonus is you would never need to do an oil change with this level of consumption, just keep topping it up.

Basically its a two stroke engine !!! :D

Must start to struggle to meet emmisions standards tho :(
Carl
Electronics Technician.
1990 Gen II GT Ceramic CT26 Hybrid @ 15psi
170.5 kW @ 6429 RPM 288.7 Nm @ 5430RPM
Gary Capper Performance - "Dynamic Test Systems" Precision Dynamometer

Timmp
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Tim

Post by Timmp »

The bonus is you would never need to do an oil change with this level of consumption, just keep topping it up.
You probably were saying that tongue in cheek, but of course you would still need to change the oil to help flush all the grit etc that your filter may not have trapped. Oil also gets acidic after a while which can eat away at things I think
Tim Barnes- 1992 Sw20 GT-S

Technology is the only substitute for cubic inches