AW11 V2

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
krupkee
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: .

Re: AW11 V2

Post by krupkee »

This is now for sale in sale section! buy buy buy!

TimB
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Tim

Post by TimB »

Hi all,

I purchased Sam's race car. Since picking it up I fixed the indicators, got the bucket seat mounted to the floor behind the factory cross-bar (I'm 6 foot) and fitted a 4 point harness and bung for the wideband O2.

I have a lot of tidying to go racing and eventually return it to the road, so I'm going to start with the stuff on the 'needed to go racing' list.

Next up are lower rear ball joints front wheel bearings, windscreen wipers and fire extinguisher.

Here are some photos of my first mr2 that I owned back in 2008, plate number TN7130. Whoever owns this now, I have some photos of rust work done on the car when I had it and a bit of history.
Gunmetal AW11 Outside - bricks.JPG
Gunmetal AW11 Outside - bricks.JPG (107.8 KiB) Viewed 4440 times
Gunmetal AW11 - tidy - cropped.jpg
Gunmetal AW11 - tidy - cropped.jpg (42.38 KiB) Viewed 4440 times
Gunmetal AW11 - Paikok Hill Rd.JPG
Gunmetal AW11 - Paikok Hill Rd.JPG (67.56 KiB) Viewed 4440 times

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

Your old one passed through a few hands since it was yours - one of them being mine for a few months 8)
Still floating around here in Christchurch with a blacktop 20v in some shape or form.
Simon knows where it is, and he has done 3 x engine swaps with it I think after destroying multiple 20v 4ages with multiple trackdays :lol:
Was still quite rusty back in 2012 when I had it.

Sweet about your new purchase, should be a fun car once complete.

Troyhaima
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Troy

Post by Troyhaima »

its in the hands of my mate with the blacktop 20v in it. i think it sitill has the blowen gearbox in it. no idea if hes fixed it yet
I have dyslexia so please excuse spelling.
1991 sw20 mr2 non turbo new engine in with street cams also have done body work to it. sold
1990 sw20 mr2 na, street cams, link ecu
1986 aw11 mr2 blacktop 20v.
1986 s/c aw11 mr2
1986 nissan patrol (set up on some 35/10.5 tyires plus bull bars and other stuff for 4wding)

TimB
Guest of the Club.

Post by TimB »

Made a bit of progress on this car. It's been slow because I've been focusing on this, which survived its first track day last weekend:

Anyhow, back to the AW11... Found some rust and had it patched.

While it was up on the hoist I found the crossmember has seriously seen better days:

Being a racecar, its seen some action. Finding a replacement crossmember to weld in is proving difficult so I'm going to talk to a certifier about replacing this with a small tube frame section with tags for the radiator mounts. I want the car to remain road legal.

Small wins though, I fixed the front wheel bearings by rattlegunning the big nut up tighter and sorted out the bung eye

This was a combination of 4 washers, a drill and adjusting the headlight motor arm longer.

In the interior I've stripped it out, added another harness bar and got a bucket seat mounted directly to the floor.

TimB
Guest of the Club.

Post by TimB »

If anyone has windscreen washer squirters, a set of factory shocks or a front radiator support cut off the frame rails then please pm me. Parts for these cars are fairly tough to get hold of now..

I'm not too worried about fixing this sort of thing, I've had worse on some of the Nissans I've owned.

TimB
Guest of the Club.

Post by TimB »

are my photos showing up for anyone else? trying to get the hang of embedding from google photos.

85AW20v
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Simon

Post by 85AW20v »

I can see the one of the rust patch repair but none of the others before or after that....
See ya
Simon
AW11 Racecar - 860kg

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Are you able to use a computer and drag-drop the pics onto the text edit area when you post please Tim? Rather than trying to use a Google link?

There's clearly something very wrong with them and it's making a meaningless mess of the thread. I will have to go edit your posts and clean it up.

If you see the pic when you paste the Google link into a browser's address bar then it should work fine when you paste the same link inside an Img tag.

But drag-drop like you did earlier in the thread is ALWAYS the preferred option. Thanks.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

Any pics of your harness bar? What are you doing as far as keeping it road legal with this in place?

TwinKamm
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
First name: Glenn

Post by TwinKamm »

krupkee wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:00 pm
Kippeth wrote:huh for some reason i didnt see the post about the paintwork till i posted. oh well! good luck with your build, was it running/driving about a year ago? i recall seeing one driving the other way when i was at a friends in hillcrest.
Nah not me, only driven it down from auckland about 1 year ago

Got it driveable and into the driveway for a pic! got the car cover on it while I clean up the garage. Its shorter than the picket fence!
Hi Krupkee, very ancient post but thought I'd give it a try, seen your post on a different forum about you having an AE82 digital cluster, any chance you still have it and never used it? Am after one for my 82. Thanks mate