Gruks SW20

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

Re: Gruks SW20

Post by gruk »

Trotbags wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:02 pm
Nice work. Getting the cert plate removed on Yellow is one of the tasks I will need to get done too. I assume just book it in with a certifier and take it from there?
Yeah I just called a certified a week or so ago, he told me to get the car how I wanted it (stock) and book a time to see him. I drove in, he drilled out the plate, and he charged me $50. Job done. He now sends a letter to the NZTA people or whoever it is. All in all it took 5mins. If you aren’t going back to stock he said he’d have to inspect a lot more, at $150 per hour.

Sounds like they are doing away with plates now and it’ll be a modern chip thing.
'90 SW20 NA - White NZ new T-Top

gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by gruk »

And legal as of yesterday! Can’t wait to get out on a club run again. Currently planning a roadie to Auckland to stretch its legs a little. Going to be a good end to summer:)

gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by gruk »

New wheels! Thanks Gary, they fit like a glove.
So good to have staggered wheels that actually fill the wheel well.
E4CF1618-27F7-4F4A-B8E7-7F4495D1DCD2.jpeg
A82444CE-D59B-492C-A681-7C04FAD1BEB6.jpeg

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

Who did you go and see
Ill need a cert for my brakes soon .
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by gruk »

*84vvt wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:00 pm
Who did you go and see
Ill need a cert for my brakes soon .
I saw a guy called Julian Cheer, he’s on this list: https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/supl ... hicles.pdf

gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by gruk »

Story time!
Been a while since I was last here so a bit of background. I've recently moved to the rural Manawatu which is awesome, but it is a little further from the office than it used to be. I work from home mostly but occasionally drive down to Wellington for a night and do a couple of days at the office.
So the MR2 recently sailed through it's warrant so I could register it again, and on Thursday I thought, hey why not make the trip to Wellington in the MR2? That'll be fun.
So I was up at 5am to avoid traffic. Packed the battery charger just in case, It had been going flat lately. The drive was good, made a few notes of some things to check out on the car - wheel balance perhaps, might be time for another service soon. That sort of thing. I start pulling into Wellington and glance at the clock - very dim. Not good. I pull into a parking building, try to lower the window to get my ticket. Nothing. Bugger. Alternator likely dead. I open the door grab my ticket, park the car and carry my battery and charger across town and get it charging at work for the trip to my mates place after work.
That all goes as expected, and I leave the battery charging at his place at the end of the day. Catch a lift with him to work in the morning as we start speculating if the cricket will be on or not - lots of rain forecast.
The day finishes up at work, the rain arrives, the cricket is cancelled so we go bowling instead. Back to his place at 9ish and on the road with my fully charged battery by 10pm. You guys probably see the problem that I missed at this point.
Batteries don't last as long when the headlights are on and the wipers are going. I worked it out by Otaki, the clock was beginning to fade. Plan B formulated - I could get to my sisters beach house at Waitarere, I had a key on me.
I make it to Levin and it's clear that things are getting tight.
Waitarere Beach turnoff arrives and the headlights are beginning to get dim. This is getting dangerous, but we are nearly at the house, take it slow, keep very left.
About 1.9km from plan B destination the car stops. bugger. I push it well off the road, load myself up with my belongings, including battery and charger and head off for the house. In the rain.
40mins later I arrive, soaking wet, tired, arms dead from carrying the battery. I would swap hands every 100steps. tough going.
I got the battery on the charger again and started drying off my stuff before bed.
Good nights sleep, and another walk ahead. Battery looks charged enough, and I find a kids scooter in the garage which will serve as a battery trolly. All good.
Start approaching the little white car and I can see it's still there, phew. Why would I be worried, it was a rain storm, and the car has been on the side of the road only since 11:30pm. Surely theives wouldn't have had time to even think about it right? Wrong. smashed passenger side window. Brilliant.
Thankfully the car wasn't going to be easy to steal with no batteries, and I'd cleared all of my valuables out. They pinched my mag lock nut and emptied my glovebox full of receipts and things onto the floor. Dickheads. Thankfully they didn't raid my sweet supply of era appropriate CD's. Funny that. Not that I had the battery power to listen to any of them.
Anyway the car started with the battery and I managed to get the lights to pop down again. Aside from the glass in the cockpit it was a very enjoyable ride home once the rain cleared up.
Hope your weekend is off to a better start than mine.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Good story & glad it had more or less a happy ending. I chased similar issues a couple years ago and had to upgrade alternator to a 130amp and install a 4x4 battery.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Sucks about the break in but you managed some decent distance with the alternator out. I snapped an alternator belt in town one night in Christchurch and headed straight home, by the time I pulled up the drive it was all over. That was 6km/10 minutes.
1992 G Limited