Wanted: Best Mechanic/Shop in Auckland?

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
justsomeguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: JSG

Wanted: Best Mechanic/Shop in Auckland?

Post by justsomeguy »

Hi Team,

Who would you all say is The Auckland MR2 expert?

A reputable mechanic and shop with lifts, full insurance, etc. Who can securely store the car and professionally work on it for a few days, replacing all old liquids including fuel, maybe changing the cambelt, do what's needed to a car that's been stored for a few years.

0204 9 88 88 6

Regards
JSG

afot
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Andrew

Re: Wanted: Best Mechanic/Shop in Auckland?

Post by afot »

Hi, hey did you get any response & find anybody at all? Especially on the Cam Belt replacement job?

Cheers,
Andrew.
96'SW'ya G'Ltd Manual
96' SXA11 Rav4 3SGE Manual "J" model for "Joyfull" apparently. :lol:
86' JDM Corona Coupe GT st162 3SGE E.C.T.S :shock:
89'Bertone X19 Manual 8)
10'HiAce KD201 T.D. Manual tricked up..??!!
98' Pa4w Spacegear 2WD Mitsi Auto tragic
91' P25 L300 4x4 Mitsi T.D. Auto tragic

justsomeguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by justsomeguy »

Hi

Automotive Billic was suggested by someone on Facebook. - Glenfield.

Absolute Motors and Tyres - was suggested by someone else - Morningside/Mt Albert/ St Lukes area.

I am getting basic re-conditioning - new fluids, WOF, etc. done at On-Site Autos - comes highly recommended by a fellow MR2 enthusiast as a reputable honest mechanic.

For the more technical aspects (Cambelt, reconditioning/refurbishment of engine components/ hoses, etc.,, I am going to visit those shops and interview the person incharge, if they don't win my trust will try Taylors in Grafton - also come highly reputed.

It is a bit fkn sad that the club has disintegrated to all these insta kids these days who can share pics but not key, helpful info, .butwhatdoikno anyway :wink:

justsomeguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by justsomeguy »

I can't remember the name - there is the original shop who did the work on my car - with the previous owner - in East Auckland area.

Where do you live?

afot
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Andrew

Post by afot »

Hi ya again,
I live out South in Manukau City wayz...
Yes, very very much know what you mean about the "instaKidz", nobody seems to bother with the website anymore..... Shame, lost a lot of people i'd reckon...
I'm an older guy ( but not ancient..) Personally I'm not on ANY social clap trap platforms whatsoever. So I'm "old school" i guess....
I normally do the vast majority of mechanical work myself BUT if came into the knowledge of somebody trustworthy..... for doing some of the more advanced jobs i could be interested in letting it get done.
It's sooo, hard to find trustworthy people nowadays eh... :|
Definitely keep me posted on how your getting on with the "Reserection" process. Perhaps just P.M. me....
Thanks for your quick response, nice to know that somebody still uses this "platform", he he!
96'SW'ya G'Ltd Manual
96' SXA11 Rav4 3SGE Manual "J" model for "Joyfull" apparently. :lol:
86' JDM Corona Coupe GT st162 3SGE E.C.T.S :shock:
89'Bertone X19 Manual 8)
10'HiAce KD201 T.D. Manual tricked up..??!!
98' Pa4w Spacegear 2WD Mitsi Auto tragic
91' P25 L300 4x4 Mitsi T.D. Auto tragic

justsomeguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by justsomeguy »

Sent you a PM, I joined this place casually 20 years ago and formally 19 years ago... I'm just over 40 and have the personality of a grumpy 60 year old.

Back then Dennis Neagle was Pres, then Charlie - both ridiculously friendly, nice guys who went into great detail to organize runs and ensure everyone was looked after - whether they wanted a fast or simply relaxing, social experience. I haven't been on a run or met the current crew since 2014 or so. Be nice to see how things are.

Mike Playle (sorry for the spelling) is an awesome guy with many fun stories remember him fondly from previous runs.

We also didn't have too much social media so the forum was our Media.

Yes will let you know how things go - will be upgrading the Alarm System too as the old one is from 1995 and these cars are getting pretty much irreplaceable.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Yep, its sad to see the club loose its sex appeal over other social platforms. There are still a few of us old die hards still lurking about. Haven't seen or heard from Charlie in a very long time. He had a good AK shop reference if you can search on some of his old threads.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

justsomeguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by justsomeguy »

Charlie's old number doesn't work, maybe he's overseas.

Dennis sadly passed away in I think a car accident. May have been a motorsport/rally crash.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

That’s a shame about Dennis. I would think if Charlie was overseas his boy Issac might be still around.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

justsomeguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by justsomeguy »

Benckj wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:19 pm
That’s a shame about Dennis. I would think if Charlie was overseas his boy Issac might be still around.
Yea he had a grey metallic SW20. No idea how to contact them. Maybe I'll PM Mike Playle