Tires / tyres

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Tires / tyres

Post by mickeyduck »

Heck, however you spell it... them things what are CRUCIAL to life (as opposed to death or injury) on the road.

What are your experiences? Good sticky feet, or ice skates...?

I'd merely ask that statements made here be factual please. Opinion's fine of course but let's not get derogatory eh. The question is simply, "what are good feet for your MR2"?

To start this I'm going to say that I have AW11 Superchargers, and run 185/55 15 front, 205/50 15 rear.

In my experience Bridgestone Potenza RE040 are brilliant in the wet as well as the dry and last well. They are OEM for ZZW's and work a treat on the AW.

And I've just fitted a set of Potenza RE11 on th rear of my super tail-happy LSD manual AW SC and MAN do they stick. Awesome, even in the wet, despite being semi-slicks. Don't expect them to last as well as the RE040 but grip, HELL YES!

By way of contrast I've tried Bridgestone MY01 and found they work fine on the front if no bigger than 185 (I tried 195 and aquaplaned in heavy rain - scary stuff going straight ahead on a sweeper at speed). I also found they were a lot of fun in the dry with predictable tail-drift, but downright snap-scary in the wet.

Anyone else got an opinion on the tyres they've tried on their 2...?

*** EDIT - a couple of useful links ***

Put your original standard tyre sizes in and this will suggest alternative sizes for larger rims:
http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/

Note however that the "% difference" it shows is incorrect in fact it's about double the real figure.

This thing will give you a more accurate estimation of how a tyre size will affect your speedo:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Please note that when up-sizing your rims you really want to keep the radius of the new tyres as close as possible to the OEM spec.

An offset calculator:
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

*** End of edit ***
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Dell'orto
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Brad

Re: Tires / tyres

Post by Dell'orto »

Had 225/50/15 Hankook Ventus tyres on the back of my old SW20, will never EVER buy hankook road tyres again. Ok in the dry, lateral grip was average at best. Went from Yokohama A539's to them, and they would let the back end come out well before the Yokohamas.
Current - 1990 SW20 GT - back in black
Previous - 1990 SW20 GT, 1987 AW11 Supercharger

http://zrogrp.orcon.net.nz

numbers
Guest of the Club.
First name: Jakke

Post by numbers »

I run some Hankook something somethings 205/45/17 on a turbo SW (Need to get staggered)
Brilliant in the dry, can be troublesome in the wet
However I will be upgrading wheels and tyres in the near future and will be going to RE11s
Cannot recommend enough!

8)
I write a lot of posts, but that does not mean you will see them.

mcphail
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Marlborough
First name: Mike

Post by mcphail »

ive got falken fk452's 215/40/r17 on front and 235/40/r17 on my gen3 sw20
great in the dry struggle to lose grip unless im pushing it.
happy with them in the wet can get it to spin through 1st but it gets grip back half way through 2nd during a launch.
only problem is hitting puddles thing turns into a boat but i think thats tyre size more than anything.

1ZZZZW30
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Michael

Rampage to Raglan - 6 November 2011

Post by 1ZZZZW30 »

let's do a motorcross at the Hampton skidpad, and track day at Taupo.

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Joel

Re: Auckland calendar - upcoming events.

Post by Joel »

1ZZZZW30 wrote:let's do a motorcross at the Hampton skidpad, and track day at Taupo.
I went to a motorcross at the Hampton Downs skidpan last weekend, and an MR2 took out the top prize.
Would be a cool event to do as a club.

Dangerous D
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Dylan

Post by Dangerous D »

Joel wrote:
1ZZZZW30 wrote:let's do a motorcross at the Hampton skidpad, and track day at Taupo.
I went to a motorcross at the Hampton Downs skidpan last weekend, and an MR2 took out the top prize.
Would be a cool event to do as a club.
AGREE!!
i like the way u think sir
Dangerous D, A.K.A Dippy, A.K.A "the over-take f%#ker-upper"
if its there, it can be planked!

bgnz
Guest of the Club.
First name: Beeg

Post by bgnz »

sounds like a cracking idea, I'd like to get some quality time in on the skidpan too, its tricky finding back end break away point in the wet on a public road... or rather its easy but I'd rather not do it again ;)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

bgnz wrote:its tricky finding back end break away point in the wet on a public road... or rather its easy but I'd rather not do it again ;)
He he he... nice! :lol:

Get some RE11's and you'll find everything is suddenly very predictable and controllable, even in the wet. They are awesome feet. Worth every cent.

As for the skid pad, I'd like to see the younger fellas explore the limits with no risk of killing their cars or themselves, and we can all have a ton of fun in the process... It's gotta be done I reckon. Maybe a prize for the winner of the event...? Hmmm... Yeah, let's have a wee comp. :idea:

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

bgnz
Guest of the Club.
First name: Beeg

Post by bgnz »

I put Toyo's on pretty much the day after the back end came loose, mine did that day as well. Nothing quite like sitting facing the car that a few seconds ago was behind you :)

No spins since then but I'm still treading a bit gingerly in the wet which is why I'd like to know when its going to let go in future, so I can go just a shade underneath it :D

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

He he that's a nice entertaining wee story there - and one which a lot of MR2 owners might learn from. Good on ya! :D

If there's a single piece of advice I could offer to any MR2 owner, it's get good tyres. The best you can afford. More power? Meh. Lowering, shocks, brakes.. yeah but meh... Body kits, paint, boom boom boxes... nice too, bling bling but meh... Good feet transform a 2 into what it was meant to be. A thing that you can put around corners twice as fast as most other cars, and a thing that can stop in a real hurry if needs be (cos the brakes are not at all bad even standard, unless you're on a track, in which case you need better pads and fluid). GIII's and Potenza RE040's were the factory standard issue for a reason - they stick, which is important in a mid engine car which just wants to change direction by nature of its design (and that's why it can out-turn most other cars). The pendulum effect of the weight in the rear means it's super nimble, as long as it doesn't let go, :shock: so good tyres are a MUST. Nothing wrong with Toyo T1R's either from what I've heard... Point is these are a quality sports car and they deserve a quality tyre to suit. Tyres first, all else afterwards... Your life and your 2 are at stake. So it's a no brainer in my estimation eh. :mrgreen:

I hate cheap tyres. They kill people.
Good tyres save lives and add to it's enjoyment.

Some folk see tyres as a thing that wears out and by nature just fades away, is transient and thus isn't worth investing in.
Life does the same though if you think about it - from the day you're born it's wearing out and fading away. Doesn't mean it's not worth investing in though does it? Hell no, it's the single most precious thing of all.

They say if you don't have your health you have nothing. Same kinda deal... Good tyres are never a waste of money. They're an investment in long life and the enjoyment of it.

I might add that to my sig...

bubbles4
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Sean

So, I spun my gt today

Post by bubbles4 »

91 Mr2 gt. Approaching a massive 2 laned roundabout in the wet at 50km/h in fourth to go straight ahead.I'm in the outer lane. I'm like, ok, I'm not going that fast. Went in sweet, got to the middle, started turning right to follow the lane. nek minute, My tail's sliding, I countersteered but that just made me travel sideways into an island so im like, okay, I give up and just stepped on the brakes lightly. Ended up facing the traffic on the same lane I was in. Lesson learned. :/ :/

tl:dr
I spun my mr2 in the wet approaching a roundabout into facing the traffic. Damn.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Re: So, I spun my gt today

Post by Alsw20 »

Now go and buy some better tyres. k thx
1992 G Limited

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Alsw20 wrote:Now go and buy some better tyres. k thx
+1

What do you have on there? I had some poor quality tyres and made wet driving scary. Quite slippery, but now I have good tyres and no more slipping and I feel much safer just driving at normal speeds.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Dell'orto
Guest of the Club.
First name: Brad

Post by Dell'orto »